Monday 1 January 2007

... On the rocks Part-I

Vivek (ex colleague) invited me for a party at his residence. Since it was on a Saturday (30th), it suited me well. A party on 31st Dec is a thing of the past. We never have a holiday on the new year day and I can't afford to take a leave as the pressure of quarterly closing is considerable. So a party on Saturday with no worries about getting up early on the next day was not to be missed.
Took a nice long (solitary, of course!) walk and found Vivek's place after a bit of searching. Though I reached late, I was not the last to reach there. Biryani was perfect. (ordered from the famous Hussein caterers, no relations of Saddam; who was hanged in the morning. BTW though I didn't watch TV, but what was clear from newspaper photos was: A man with a very calm face. )
Somebody filled a glass for me and asked for my preference. But before I could refuse some one said "On the rocks". ( One more 2007 resolution: Be firm and more assertive in declaring the non drinker status). But the word "Rocks" led my thoughts to the real rocks. After all Vivek was an ace rock climber in his college(IITB) days. When I mentioned that, Vivek told us about a recent hike. He had taken his daughter & son to Tikona recently. I was glad to know that the kids enjoyed it immensely.
I can't say much about my hiking/trekking but I have a elder brother and a elder sister who were very enthusiastic regulars. One of the many hobbies of this dear sister of mine is to collect rocks! Mind you she is not a geologist. The samples were picked up just for the beauty of their random colours, contours and shapes. Though I could understand and appreciate this madness, somehow I never caught this infection. I had only used some of the smaller rocks as paper weights. ( Others in the house who used these rocks were some tiny variety of spiders! )
But during the last year I started reading books by Richard Dawkins. Though I had been into birdwatching for a number of years; I had never been interested in learning Biology proper. But Dawkins magic has transformed me into a Biology freak. Now there are 2 areas of Biology which have caught my immediate attention viz, Ecology & Evolution. While reading books about evolution I started wondering about my absolute ignorance of Geology. I find it very surprising that even though we are gathering so much knowledge about the outer space we know so little about what lies below our feet. While reading about evolution we are constantly reminded of the role played by rocks in preserving the past. Now I must know more about rocks. I must try to search those rock samples and put them on my working table. Because these rocks are the pages from Nature's autobiography. The rocks really rock!

2 comments:

anish said...

where is part II? did u see the saddam video? a blog-friend has written about it here-
http://corridorsandlobby.blogspot.com/

where did u go to trek last?
happy new year!

Wish said...

Where is part II. But I haven't written part I, yet. What I have written is part (-1). So I need to write part 0, part 1,... Hope to do it soon. Liked your friend's blog. (But haven't seen the video yet.) I have not gone anywhere recently. But I go to Irshaal(Near Chowk), every year on 26th Jan with Bandaa & Co.