Monday 15 January 2007

(Our) Friendship day

There are so many special days nowadays that I have stopped keeping a track of them. Every other day there is some XYZ day and you are supposed to send some card to someone, buy and tie some kind of a band, wear some special attire, or buy some variety of flower, ... The list is endless but there is always some special gift or something you must buy. So it is very clear who must be the people who are promoting these new found zeal for newer traditions. One such day during the last week was a so called friendship day. I came to know about it because a film producer launched a film on the theme of friendship and had put huge ads in the newspapers. So I was wondering about what used to happen in the past ? I was thinking about whether the people were all spoilsports before this new industry of 'days' started ?
Incidentally Sunday was Makarsankranti. The day on which Maharashtriyans exchange sweets and remind others to talk sweetly. I am too lazy to keep a track of multiple calendars and making preparations for festivals. But this particular day is easier to remember because it (almost) always falls on 14th January. So one doesn't have to make efforts to remember it. Different states in India have different traditions and festivals. In Gujrat people fly kites on this day. Mumbai having a sizeable Gujrati population also celebrates 14th January as a kite festival. My cousin's maternal uncle was born and brought up in a Gujrati neighbourhood. So he always flies kites on this day and celebrates it in a big way. I traveled to their old neighbourhood ( Girgaum ) and spent 2-3 very memorable Makarsankrantis there. At home when parents were stingy about giving money to us for buying kites, here we had a total contrast. An elderly gentle giant ( he is 6' + ) who used to be as enthusiastic as we kids. He used to order special Maanja ( specially treated, toughned thread ) from Surat/Baroda. There used to be a big pile of kites. Kites of different colours and sizes. The entire day used to be spent in enjoying kite flying. ( with some precious time wasted on some stupid things like having a lunch.) The kite flying used to be full of thrill of kite fights. But the fights used to last only during the day. Kite flying at night used to be an altogether different game. There used to be a big kite specially reserved for the night. At night the kites were flown with paper lamps attached to the thread. Slowly the lamp moves further and further from you and becomes smaller and smaller. It used to be a great scene to watch. Those tiny dots in the sky!

7 comments:

Sanjay More said...

Good one...

Dear sir i have 2/3 questions to ask on this topic :

why do we celebrate makarsakranti?
what is real reason behind it?
why do we celebrate kite flying, why not aeroplane?

as far as i concern i never celebrated these days when i was in college.

Wish said...

Why do we celebtrate makarsankranti ?

I don't know. I don't even know why we celebrate anything ? For me only the cultural/social aspects of festivals are of relevance.

Why not aeroplane ?

Yes, why not ? I do fly aeroplanes. Recently I found lots of origami models on the net. In fact it seems there is a separate branch of origami devoted to making paper planes ( and rockets!)

i never celebrated ..
Same with me. But I feel everybody can't be like us. Perhaps we need to introduce newer traditions and develop more creative ways of celebrating. We need 'days' which will encourage students to think about larger issues and problems facing our society.

Maaza-anubhav said...

i have no clue whatever these festivals are all about but whether u guys enjoy them or not, i love them!

kite flying is fun when one does so in competition with some group. and the one with a lamp, i presume they are called aakash kandeel.

trust me, giving up enthusiasm would wrinkle one's soul. hat's off to the gentleman for his active participation in kite flying sport. patang uddana aur katana is one real job. aur kata hua patang ke picche daudna is another huge task. especially when it is seen trapped on the branches of a tree.

TEJAS HAJIRNIS said...

Hi Vishwas Kaka,
Dint knw tht u blog. Your blog was quite nostalgic.
I remembered "makarsankranti" as a kid. There was all excitement in the air. Though I was not that great a kite flyer n probably my kite never really took off...d belief kept me alive every year. i remember d preparation of "kani bandhana" n bending d kite over d head to give d kite just d right bending angle. Wid all d preparations too... my kite never took off n i ended up holding the "firki" for somebody.
Well fast-forard to "today" and "makarsankranti" does not even exist. I em not sure whether its thanks to the "place" or "time", but one things clear...d moments r probably gone.
Cheers
TEJAS HAJIRNIS

Wish said...

Dint knw tht u blog. Your blog was quite nostalgic

The original reason for trying my hand at blogging was quite different. Perhaps I may end up in writing a piece on that. But I am only a beginner.

my kite never took off n i ended up holding the "firki" for somebody.

Dear Tejas, we are in the same boat. I used to be Bhaiyya kaka's assisstant. ( But Pradip dada, Vikas dada, Milind all had terrific skills.)

but one things clear...d moments r probably gone

It wasn't planned that way, but capturing those moments in writing is becoming one of the reasons for my blogging! Perhaps in near future I will move away from nostalgia etc. My user name suggests what I was originally thinking about.

BTW Do you blog ? I think you have superb writing skills. Even your self intro on orkut is proof enough. I wish you try your hand at creative writing. In case you have already done that; please let me know.

TEJAS HAJIRNIS said...

Hi Vishwas Kaka,
I agree that writing things down do refresh us and may be energize us too.
Though I am not that great a writer, I have some ideas which I have tried to pen down on my blog, you can check it out.
my blog : http://thoughts-or-miracles.blogspot.com/
You can even visit my orkut profile which has a link to the blog.
cheers. keep blogging
- TEJAS

Unknown said...

hi
u write good. lihinyacha kantala should endup with lihinyachi aavad.
more later
c u soon
nandu