Saturday 30 December 2006

Reading Vs Writing

I had spent years trying to resolve this little paradox. The paradox of Reading Vs Writing!. I used to be a voracious reader but could never learn to write. It's not that I have finally found the solution and would like to run naked in the street shouting "Eureka!". But just decided that the only way to learn writing is by trying to write.
Who encouraged me to take this step ?
About 2 years back, I found myself at home with nothing to do. It was a rainy day and I was down with flu, so had absolutely nothing to do. Just decided to find a favourite novel by Marquez; that I had misplaced somewhere in the house. But luck was not on my side. I searched and searched but could not get the book. As a last resort I tried the topmost shelf of a cupboard which I had not touched in years. All I could get there were some of my old diaries. I used to write a diary in School days but had discontinued it. I had not thrown out this junk as I had not the heart to be cruel to the silly outpourings of a teenager. So with nothing on hand I started randomly reading my old diaries.
I read and read, was lost in my trip down the memory lane. I was brought back to the dreary present when some door-to-door salesman rang the door bell. When I looked at the watch I was amazed to find that I had spent close to 6 hours in reading! Of course, I am not a Marquez, but I certainly had the pleasure of getting lost in a magical world of which I was a part. I had found a time machine of my own making! I decided there and then, I may not become famous or successful but I must start writing a diary so that I can enjoy reading it years later.

2 comments:

anish said...

you found a diary from school days?? that must be really some trip down memory lane :)
u wrote it all very nicely, i can feel your excitement!

Maaza-anubhav said...

hi, now instead of going into google.com, i just have to click on 'del.icio.us Book Marks on the net' to get readymade links.

good one. i liked it a whole lot.

as for ur blogs, i read part-I on rocks, yesterday. how abt part-II? pl. do not harm those spiders in search of those rocks. remember, thou shall not kill!!

keep writing............all the very best to u.